Friday, September 16, 2011

Trip questions

My wife and I are going to Yellowstone and the surrounding neighborhood for a few days mid October. Besides taking my digital slr I have been thinking about bringing a film camera, maybe a medium format or larger. Does anybody have a Mamiya or alternative camera that I can borrow or rent from you? Or know of a good rental camera? I would take the large format camera in my shop but there is too steep a learning curve and I need to be doing a lot of shooting. Any suggestions?

Robert

Niagara © Robert Sommers

7 comments:

  1. Great shot of the falls.
    You might check with Calumet for a Mamiya II.
    Be to take polarizers for all the lenses you will be using.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make that a Mamiya 7 II. Also a Fuji 690 would be nice but it doesn't have a light meter built in like the Mamiya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pro photo connection in Irvine has a ton of camera rentals, I'd love to try the fuji 690 myself as well looks really versatile and mobile. Use the light meter in your slr as a spot meter then test exposure with the digital. I open 1 stop and 3/4 from digital to film.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, great suggestion. Thanks, Thomas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should add that different lenses absorb/transmit light in different volumes so my equation works for my lenses, some bracketing at 1/2 stop increments should give you the coverage for a decent negative. i'm guessing the 6x9 formatt on a 120 roll of film will give 8 exposures p/roll maybe 9 so if you shoot a normal + a bracket of 1/2 up and 1/2 down you'll get 2-3 shots p/roll. filters also need increased exposure, this can be easily calculated by picking a spot takie a reading with the SLR then cover the lens with the filter and taking a reading again in exact spot as before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy do i like this image, Robert.

    Kip

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very impressive, Robert. The beauty of the waterfall, boulders and rainbow serve as a fitting backdrop for the eagle. (Osprey? Hawk?). This is one of those shots that gives pause to the viewer. What's going through that lonely bird's mind as it glides through this lovely scene?

    ReplyDelete